> Discuss Your Legal Issue > Ask a Lawyer > Corporate Law > I am the incorporated of a nonprofit 501c3 organization. Can my name be removed from the statement of information? I'm in California.

I am the incorporated of a nonprofit 501c3 organization. Can my name be removed from the statement of information? I'm in California.

1 Answers. Asked on Feb 23rd, 2017 on Corporate Law - California
More details to this question:
I am the incorporated on a 501c3 nonprofit organization. We are having difficulties with a lady who was the secretary, whereas I am the president. Can she remove my name off of the statement of information? The Secretary of State says that anyone can change the statement of information, unless it is a civil case. This sounds strange. I am in California. Ty in advance.
Answers Showing 1 out of 1
Answered on Feb 24th, 2017 at 9:40 AM

Every two years, there is a window of time when the Statement of Information can be filed electronically. The rest of the time, updated Statements of Information must be filed either by mail or over-the-counter. We usually use a service in Sacramento to do them over-the-counter, so that if the SOS clerk finds any errors, the service can call me and correct them at the counter, and so that we get the endorsed-filed copy back faster.

Yes, anyone can file a new Statement of Information. The SOS does not check that the person submitting is an actual officer. 

I suggest you file a new Statement of Information updating your current officers and directors, and check the SOS webstie every couple of days for a while, to make sure your ex-officer has not made her own filing.

If you appreciate this free advice, please refer us to your friends and associates who need legal assistance. Referrals are still our best source of new business.

Dana Sack


Report Abuse
Corporate Law
Attorneys who practice corporate law can offer strategic advice on the critical legal issues that affect your business. From helping to select an appropriate business structure (such as a corporation, partnership, limited liability company or s-corporation) to offering guidance on governance issues, a corporate lawyer can serve as your business's ally, advocate and risk manager. Law firms that practice corporate law often have lawyers who focus on particular subspecialties, such as corporate finance, commercial law, and mergers, acquisitions and takeovers.
Have an Corporate Law Question?
It’s Free & Easy.
Ask a Lawyer
Top Contributing Lawyers
Mark Tischhauser, Esq.

Attorney - Florida

313 Answers, 19 Legal Topics

Patrick Johnson

Attorney - Tennessee

239 Answers, 43 Legal Topics

Michael D. Siegel

Attorney - New York

149 Answers, 26 Legal Topics

Michael E. Fiffik

Attorney - Pennsylvania

124 Answers, 21 Legal Topics

Bruce Robins

Attorney - New York

100 Answers, 8 Legal Topics

R. Sam Price

Attorney - California

94 Answers, 13 Legal Topics

Lori Nevias

Attorney - New York

92 Answers, 31 Legal Topics

Corporate Law Local Law Firms  
In United States change location
Please select state Update
Do It Yourself Legal Forms

Popular Forums